Last week, I was invited to participate in a Master Class with L’Oreal Paris hosted by celebrity makeup artist Claudia Bentancur. We were set up with a makeup stations, and followed her instructions for creating a smokey eye look that she designed. It was actually pretty awesome to see how everyone’s look was so different in the end, even though it was the same tutorial. Some were super dramatic while others very soft and subtle, which goes to show you there’s no one way to apply makeup. In fact, Claudia, who works often with Jennifer Lopez, admitted that her clients teach her a lot about tricks that work for their face that may not work for someone else.
For my look, I didn’t go very heavy with color because I wanted to go for a day or night finish. Also, I find that too much makeup makes me look older. I have very strong features and large eyelids, so I like to keep my look soft.
But that’s the beauty of makeup, right? It’s all about preference. So I’m going to list what we did, and you can try it out yourself. Add more or a little less, it’s all up to you. The shadow and lip colors used in Claudia’s custom look are gorgeous, and perfect for women with brown eyes.
How to create a smokey eye
- Apply the the Revitalift Brightening moisturizer all over your face. It feels so soft and silky.
- Prime the eyes with the Visible Lift Concealer Correcter.
- With your brush, add the brown shadow found in the French Biscuit palette to the crease of your eye.
- Dab the the platinum shadow found in the French Biscuit palette with your fingers on to your eyelids. You can leave it transparent or go super dark.
- With your brush, add the Colour Riche Mono Eyeshadow in Violet Beaute on the crease of your eyelids. It doesn’t look like I’m wearing much of it in this photo but it’s definitely a color you can build up.
- Apply the Infallible Eternal Black eyeshadow on to your eyelids. You can go really dramatic here if you’d like.
- Blend. Blend. Blend.
- Grab a smaller blending brush and swipe the Colour Riche Mono eyeshadow in Violet Beaute on your lower lid. Keep blending to create a soft, light smokey look.
- Grab an even smaller blending brush and swipe the Infallible Eternal Black eyeshadow over top.
- Add the Visible Lift Concealer Correcter under your eyes, around the nostrils, forehead and chin.
- Apply the Infallible Pro-Glow foundation. Make sure you apply down to your neck as well. You may need to blend two tones. I am using 204 and 206.
- Add the Visible Lift Concealer Correcter under your eyes (again).
- Smile! And apply the True Match Blush in Rosy Outlook to your cheeks.
- Apply the Infallible Pro-Contour to your temples, hairline, under your chin and under your cheekbones. I’m using 815.
- Draw a fine line over your upper lash with the Voluminous Liner Noir. You can create a cat eye and make it as dramatic as you’d like.
- Add the Voluminous Feline mascara in a zig-zag motion from the root out. Can I just say that this cat lady loves the animal print details on the packaging?
- Color in your eye brows with the Brow Stylist Designer pencil. My color is blonde, but with my hair I could do brown as well. It really depends if you want a soft brow or a more dramatic look.
- Add the True Match Lumi Illuminator to your cheekbones, tip of your nose and cupid’s bow, which is actually a really cool anti-aging trick. As we get older, our lips become flatter and thinner. The highlight on the cupid’s bow creates the illusion of a fuller lip. I’m wearing W102.
Related post: Natural look with L’Oréal
- Line your lips with the Colour Riche pencil in Forever Rose.
- Apply the lip creme marked as number one in the Lip Palette under the pencil line.
- Apply the lip cream marked as five in the Lip Palette to the middle of your lips. This will create a subtle ombre look. This palette is so pretty! I can’t wait to try the matte finishes.
That’s it! I would not say this is a 10-minute look, though. If you have an event coming up and want to go the smokey eye route, give this look a try but give yourself enough time to go over the steps. The Violet is just gorgeous and, like I said, the lip palette is really beautiful. You will want to take your time. You deserve some me time, anyway. Right?
Shop the story